Sunday, July 27, 2008

You have to love your mom

I'm sure that any men can tell more than one story where the main character is his mom. I know I am, and I know that for most men remembering those moments where your mom stopped you from saying hello to that special hot girl because something was wrong with the way you shirt was or those times when you were forced to say hello to somebody you didn't want to and you were forced to let some lady to grab your cheeks and tell you something like: "He looks the same as his father" it is one of those memories you don't know if you should laugh or cry.
I already have plenty of such stories, however my mom (as every other mom), never stops surprising me. I just received an email from one of her friend asking me to help her to switch to Linux. Yes, my mom has been using Linux for the past 7 years or so and she has always been happy with it. She writes emails, she writes presentations using Open Office and she even chats with her friends using Kopete and the MSN plugin. And it has been so successful her experience that now one of her friends wants to switch to Linux. I have two problems with this:
1. I read the "Pringao howto" (search for it). Even if I hadn't I've helped many people to switch to Linux and it is a pretty time consuming task since all the time you get people asking you to do something they were doing with that little shareware program only available for Windows they found somewhere.
2. I live at the other end of the planet so there is not much I can do in case of disaster.
For now I'll just send some questions to that person and ask her about her plans about that computer to try to find out if my helping her switching to Linux it's a good idea or not.

No comments: